From MCIS Wiki
Spring 2012 Schedule
- Word: Wednesday, Feb 1
- Excel 1: Friday, Feb 24
- Excel 2: Wednesday, March 28
- Powerpoint: Monday, April 9
- Gimp: Friday, April 20
Final portfolio due Thursday of finals week
- Assignment 1 - Aesop media:aesop-s11.zip (do not turn in)
- Assignment 2 - Colorado media:colorado-s11.zip (do not turn in)
- Assignment 3 - Music Program media:music-s11.zip (due Friday, January 20 at the start of class)
- Assignment 4 - Tables media:tables-s11.zip (do not turn in)
- Assignment 5 - Tables and Numbering media:tablesnumbering-s11.zip (due Friday, January 27 at the start of class)
- Assignment 6 - Bibliographies media:biblio-s10.zip (do not turn in)
- Assignment 7 - Equations media:equations-s10.zip (do not turn in)
- Assignment 8 - Citations media:citations-s10.zip (Due Monday, Feb 6, in class)
- Assignment 1 - Basic Formulas Worksheet 1 (do not turn in)
- Assignment 2 - Friendly Sam CIS120/Excel Homeworks/Sam (due Monday, Feb 13, in class)
- Assignment 3 - Edit, Fill, Format and Validate CIS120/Excel Homeworks/Worksheet 2 (do not turn in)
- Assignment 4 - Graphing and Verification CIS120/Excel Homeworks/Graph And Verify (do not turn in)
- Assignment 5 - Employee Evaluation CIS120/Excel Homeworks/Evaluation (Due on Wednesday, February 22, in class)
- Assignment 5a - Ski Club CIS120/Excel Homeworks/Ski (Due Monday, February 28 in class) (did not use in Spring 2012)
- Assignment 6 - Graphs media:CIS120-s10-excel-graphs.xls (do not turn in)
- Assignment 7 - Graphing and Conditional Formatting CIS120/Excel Homeworks/River (due Wednesday, March 7 in class)
- Assignment 8 - Filter and Sort (do not turn in)
- Assignment 9 - Census data (due Wednesday, March 28, in class)
- Assignment 10 - Final Review (due Wednesday, March 28, in class)
- CIS120/Powerpoint Homework - not turned in.
- Gimp - covers the skills needed for the homework and the test
- Gimp Homework - Due on Wednesday, April 18 in class
Your final grade will be on a portfolio. This portfolio is due on Thursday during Finals. Submit the portfolio as a powerpoint slide deck, with a slide for each element of the portfolio. Each slide should contain the pictures you used, the final result, and a description of the procedure you used to produce the final result.
The elements of your portfolio should be "serious" - things that you might use in the real world in a poster or logo.
Use pictures from the WP photo gallery (http://western.edu/student-life/wp/photos) All pictures should be corrected for exposure using Color -> Curves or Color -> Levels.
- Start with a blank canvas and some sort of fill in the background
- Include two or more pictures as separate layers. Use a filter to modify at least one of the pictures.
- Add a textural element
- Add an interesting border using quickmask and some sort of filter over the border.
- One of the following:
- An effect using layer masks
- Paths to draw lines
- Advanced selection features (color-based, magic wand, interesting combination of selected regions)
Include a pictures that have been generated using Inkscape.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of shapes, fills, strokes, and text elements
- Create a complex path / shape using path operators such as union, intersection, or exclusion
- Use a gradient fill in some context
- Use at least one imported bitmap which is masked or clipped
- Include at least two of the following:
- Placing text along a path
- A non-trivial path created using the Bezier tool, with straight and curved edges
- Path offsets
- Paths generated from a bitmap
- Filter or path effects