CIS 235: Computer Networking
Create a subpage on your 235 page with a proposal for a final project or term paper. This is due before class October 29.
- Western Network Map - Due Monday, Sept 30
- Http Capture - Due October 10 in class
- Route Tracing - Due December 12 in class
Buy this textbook online: http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Networking-Top-Down-Approach-Edition/dp/0136079679 - note that this is the 5th edition, not the most recent one. You should be able to buy this used for about $25
August 29: Read http://scrawford.net/facts-about-us-internet-access/ - be able to talk about the technologies mentioned in this blog post. Find out who Susan Crawford is and research her disputes with the cable TV companies and telcos.
September 3: Read the first chapter of the textbook and come ready to discuss the Western network environment
September 17: Test on chapter 1 and the campus network (25 minutes). Start chapter 2.
September 18: Read 2.1, 2.2
October 3: Read all of 2.5
October 8: Read all of 2.6
October 17: Test on chapter 2, Read through 3.3.
- Introduction to networking, public policy and computer networks.
- Network overview, the Western networking environment.
- An overview of computer networking
- The Application Layer
- The Transport Layer
- The Network Layer
- The Link Layer
- Wireless Networks
- Multimedia Networks
- Privacy and Security